Welcome to the Epson Stylus 7800 Printer Review.
The 24-inch Epson Stylus Pro 7800 professional wide-format printers utilize a breakthrough new 8-color ink technology (K3 ink). The Epson 7800 offers uncompromised print quality and its price point is currently unmatched in the inkjet printing industry today. Rivals such as Roland, HP, and Canon have not yet responded with a product that has singificantly affected the industry-wide growth and word-of-mouth momentum of the Epson 7800 printer.
One can utilize the Epson 7800 to produce archival prints with amazing color integrity, gloss-level, and scratch resistance. furthermore, the Epson 7800 produces professional neutral and toned black and white prints with higher density levels and virtually no metamerism or bronzing. The Epson Stylus 7800 utilizes a 1-inch wide printhead, and therefore produces almost twice the print performance of the previous model line (Epson 9600). Furthermore, the Epson 7800 delivers an astonishing resolution of 2880 x 1240 dpi. The Epson 7800 is capable of handling almost any media type, in roll or cut sheet, up to 24-inch wide.
Epson UltraChrome K3™ ink technology utilizes eight new color pigments, including a new three-level black technology, which significantly increases the potential quality output for professional color and black and white prints. According to Epson, these inks offer the widest color gamut of any ink currently available on the marketplace (an increase of approximately .2 Dmax to the Ultrachrome), and especially unique results on epson canvas. The addition of the third black ink now allows the Epson 7800 printer to produce true monochrome (black and white) inkjet prints. The new Epson k3 inks also utilize "High Gloss Mircocrystal Encapsulation Technology" which comes built into the Epson 7800 printer and serves to minimize bronzing on glossy papers.
EPSON 7800 Stylus Pro Specifications:
• 8-Channel Print Head Technology
• 8-Color (C, Lc, M, Lm, Y, Lk, LLk + PK or MK) pigment based ink
• Variable-Sized Droplet Micro Piezo drop-on-demand ink jet with AMC™ technology
• Color and Monochrome heads: 180 nozzles x 8
Epson Ink Technology:
• Epson UltraChrome K3™ Ink Technology
• Smallest droplet size: 3.5 picoliter
• Variable Droplet Technology can produce up to three different sizes per print line
2880 x 1240 dpi; 1240 x 720 dpi; 720 x 720 dpi;
720 x 360 dpi; 360 x 360 dpi; 360 x 180
Print Engine Speed:
• 8" x 10" prints from 50 secs to 6:25 – Normal is 3:17¹
• 11" x 14" prints from 1:24 to 10:55 – Normal is 5:35¹
• 16" x 20" prints from 4:07 to 18:57 – Normal is 9:46¹
Acoustic Noise Level:
• Approximately 50 dB(A) according to ISO 7779
Printer Language / Drivers:
• Epson ESC/P2 raster photographic drivers standard
• Optional PANTONE. licensed and SWOP. certified PostScript. Language Level 3™ Compatible RIP by ColorBurst. (included only with Pro Edition bundle)
• Supported by most leading third-party RIPs and workflows
Operating Systems Supported:
• Macintosh. Panther 10.3.9 or higher, Tiger 10.4 or higher
• Windows. 2000 or XP (Pro or Home Edition)
• Includes one USB (1.1 and 2.0 compatible), one IEEE1394 FireWire® and one Epson Expansion Slot used for installing the optional internal 10/100 BaseT Ethernet card
* (Ethernet included in Pro Edition Bundle).
• 3.4"(W) x 14"(H) x 30"(D)
• Printer weight: 83.7 lb
• Left and right borderless “bleed” printing for the following roll media widths:
8.3", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 17"
• Top and bottom edges can be automatically cut to any length three
different ways during printing on roll media.
• Maximum paper width 17"
• Left and right margins 0 or 3mm each (0.24" total)
• Top and bottom margins 0 to 25mm each
• Maximum printable width 17.16" (full bleed 17" width)
• Maximum printable length Limited by application, operating systen and driver/rip used
• Roll media size Single roll up to 17" width
• Roll media length Up to 132' (limited by core dia.)
• Cut sheet input tray size Up to 17" x 22"
• Cut sheet media input Up to 250 sheet tray, top and rear manual feed slots
Media Core Compatibility:
• Media core compatibility: Handles both 2" and 3" cored media
• Max. roll media diameter 4" (2" core) or 6" (3" core)
• Weight 12 lb bond up to 1.5 mm posterboard
• Built-in media cutter: Automatic and manual cutting
• + or - 0.2% of specified page length
Epson Intelligent Ink Cartridge
Ink Cartridge Size:
• 110ml or 220ml each color x 8 colors total
Ink Cartridge Life:
• Ink cartridge shelf life: 2 years from printed production date or 6 months after open.
• Epson UltraChrome K3 Ink
• Color: Up to 108 years²
• B&W: Over 200 years²
• Operating 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
• Storage -4° to 104° F (-20° to 40° C)
• * Operating: 20 to 80% relative humidity
• Recommended 40 to 45%
• Storage: 5 to 85% relative humidity (no condensation)
Safety standards: UL1950, CSA 22.2 950 FDA
EMI FCC Part 15 subpart B class B,
CSA C108.8 class B
AS/NZS 3548 class B
Print Head Life:
* First Major Maintenance Interval (number of 8" x 10" prints)
* 720 x 720 dpi 45,000 prints
* 1240 x 720 dpi 29,500 prints
* 2880 x 1240 dpi 15,200 prints
* When printing in uni-directional mode the above numbers are reduced by half
• ~2,000 cuts (coated media)
• Pump unit, flushing box, head cleaner, cap assembly
• AC120V or (220V to 240V)
• 50 to 60 Hz
• 1.0A / 100-120V
• Approx. 59W (operating)
• <21W (standby)
• < .7W (power off mode)
• Energy Star Compliant
* ¹ Normal mode based upon SuperFine - 1240 dpi Test results based upon print engine speed only. Total throughput times depend upon front-end RIP, file size, printer resolution, ink coverage, networking, etc.
* ²Ink lightfastness rating based on accelerated testing of prints on specialty media, displayed indoors, under glass. Actual print stability will vary according to media, printed image, display conditions, light intensity, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not guarantee longevity of prints. For maximum print life, display all prints under plexi, glass or lamination or properly store them.
Visit www.wilhelm-research.com for the latest information
The Epson 7800 employs the Ultrachrome inkset (8 color pigment inkset). By doing so, Epson has focused on solving some of the traditional problems with pigmented inksets, such as limited color gamut (particularly in the reds) and metamerism (prints shifting color in different lighting environments). The Ultrachrome ink drops are individually coated with resin, allowing them to sit on the coated media more smoothly and largely minimize metameristic effects. Variable drop size delivery ensures very smooth tonal range and gradations. And the reds (and almost all other colors) are incredible.